Thursday, November 24, 2011

Who am I?

Those of you who know me well understand that to date, my motto in life has been "I only run if something is chasing me!" So, what I was thinking when I agreed to do the Couch to 5K Running Plan with Chris, with the end goal of running (that's right, I said running) in the Turkey Trot, is beyond me. For the past nine weeks though, we have been doing the weekly work-outs and have steadily made noticeable progress to the point that...I actually ran the Turkey Trot today!!! As in ran, all 3.1 miles...no stopping...in 34:08! I realize that is incredibly slow and not really something that I should probably feel proud in announcing to the blogosphere, but as Chris said, it is a PR! Look at me, using all this runner's speak! =)

Now, before any of my runner friends go and get really excited, let me just say that while I am extremely proud of myself, surprisingly, was not completely miserable, and did have a good time with Chris and Graham and the other 5,500+ people on the course, I currently have no intention of ever running a step over 3.1 miles at a time again. I would definitely do another 5K. We are already planning the Jingle Bell Run (3K) next weekend, but there will be no 10K, 15K, 1/2 marathons, or the like in my future! Through this process, I did learn that I am capable of running short distances, and I learned that I truly admire people who are able to run long distances. I think the only way that would happen for me is if something chased me more often!

1 comment:

  1. Good job!! Since I don't speak running - what is a PR?

    ReplyDelete