Saturday, August 7, 2010

Confessions of a nesting dad-to-be, Part 1

It's been a while since I've had time to post anything up here, but there's good reason. Jen and I have been working like crazy this summer. We both taught ESY this summer (with a trip to Iowa in the middle), and we both were working on grad-level classes. Jen was taking her LAST class for her Master's degree(I am so proud of her), and I took two classes toward my Autism endorsement. All of our classes finished yesterday, so now we can really get down to the task at hand- making room for baby!

Actually, we have been working hard on the house already. Lots of projects are going at once, but there are a few that are wrapped up. Jen's folks spent about two weeks here working on the house, and I don't know how we would have gotten much accomplished during that time without their help! Jen and I were able to sort out some of the rooms that weren't ready for the deep clean and/or paint while her folks worked on the ones that were closer to being ready. As a result, we have a fresh coat of paint in our living room (which led to freshly painted trim and door, which led to a new lock set, which led to a gaping hole in the door at 11:00 at night, etc. etc.). The lovely mural left for us in the living room is gone. (Just a note- do not use oil pastels on a wall and leave the work unsealed unless you are sure it will live there forever.) I finally had to resort to using a sponge and Dawn to get the mural off the wall. I figure if it will get crude oil off of a pelican, it might just clean our walls!

The most significant accomplishment at the house so far is the relocation of our bedroom. We now have our room in what used to be the lime-ass green (thanks again, Mr. Landlord) home office/library. Jen and I enjoy literacy, let's say, so there were six bookcases full of literacy to be relocated! Some of the books are now living at Goodwill (on their way to new homes, I'm sure), most are boxed up in storage, and a few have new homes right here in our house. It ONLY took two coats of primer and a coat of paint to cover the lime green paint, and now it is a much more soothing blue. Now the room that was our bedroom can be converted into the nugget's nursery.

I know I have been rambling on and on about little things around the house, but these little things are adding up to be big steps in getting ready for the munchkin to arrive! By the way, if you need a ceiling fan replaced, I know a couple of guys. They work cheap, and they are EXTREMELY handsome.

Off to paint in the NURSERY! (Pictures to come later.)

1 comment:

  1. Dude. Lime-ass green was THE color in 1996! Why would you EVER paint over that????? (When I lived in Boston, we--and I use the term "we" liberally, as I was not involved--painted our kitchen a brilliant lime-ass granny smith green. After the first few days of shock, it actually ended up brightening the room significantly.)

    ReplyDelete