Friday, August 13, 2010

Confessions of a nesting dad-to-be, Part 2

Well, this whole thing is getting realer and realer. We got a call yesterday that the nursery furniture was in, and we kicked it into high gear. We got the nursery all cleared out and the floor thoroughly scrubbed. Today we went to pick up the furniture (between rain storms), and of course we couldn't get both boxes to fit in the car at the same time. So I left Jen to shop while I flew home to drop off the crib, and then I went back to pick her up (and the dresser, of course).

Once we got home (and dried off), the real fun began. The crib was not assembled, and the only advice the salesman at the store gave me was, "This will be great practice for Christmas!" Surprisingly, the crib went together smoothly. The instructions were in a language I knew, and all the parts were there. I had lots of help (the furry sort), and we managed to get the entire thing put together in about an hour.

It's crazy how a single piece of furniture can change your outlook. I must admit that I am a little jealous of all the times Jen gets to feel the baby move (well, not the kicks in the ribs when trying to sleep). That's not to say I haven't gotten to feel plenty of kicks, somersaults, and the like. But today, when I put the crib up against the wall in the nursery, it's like everything changed yet again. I was finally getting used to the idea that there is a PERSON in there, and now that person has a place to sleep (or not sleep). I'm sure that there will be many other changes in perspective on this journey, but today was a big one.

We have lots of projects we are still working on around the house, but it seems that having the nursery look more and more like a nursery has really recharged our batteries to keep working on the rest of this tired old nest we live in.


Naked Nursery!


Gender neutral yellow, anyone?


The great crib adventure begins (note the look of confidence!)



I couldn't figure out to do with this one fuzzy piece.



Sometimes you just have to get down and get after it!



Getting closer...



Success!



Rescue "supervised" us putting the knobs on the changer/dresser. That was the easy part!

2 comments:

  1. before I say anything, I NEED to say this: I am totally envious of baby Reece's built in bookshelf! It's so New England.
    Anyway, look at you building that crib. Very macho. I don't know very many men that can actually build one by themselves. That's a fact, sir.
    I love when you're close enough to start getting baby's room together. It makes it that much more real. :) I'm diggin' the awesome tree mural, ps. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT ALL! especially the kitty help - good help is hard to find, you know! :) Cant wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete