Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!


I don't even know where to start in sharing about my first Father's Day. Like most Sundays, we got ourselves put together and headed to church. The woman who was covering the nursery offered to take Graham, but I wasn't about to give him up. We skipped the last church potluck until the fall (for those of you who know me well, you understand how monumental that is) and headed to IHOP for a healthy lunch (Graham even shared some hash browns).

Enough of all that boring stuff. I was eagerly awaiting the traditional Father's Day gifts. You know, a tie and a #1 DAD coffee mug. Jen and Graham had been sneaking around all week, and I knew they were cooking up something good. After Graham finished his nap, it was time for presents!!! I'm not sure how much help Graham was in getting the gifts wrapped, but he sure was a lot of help in unwrapping them!



While I didn't receive a coffee mug or a tie, Jen and Graham got me some pretty fantastic gifts. I got a book called I Love You, Daddy (I bet you can't guess who that one was from, huh?). Graham and I will have lots of chances to read this one, but we made sure to try it out right away. I also got a Starbucks gift card (Woo Hoo!). The last present was the "secret project" Jen and Graham (and apparently a few other people) had been working so hard to put together. Jen wrote a poem and framed it with Graham's handprints. Once I stopped crying, I was blown away by how thoughtful Jen was with this gift. The poem reads as follows:

The Hands

These are the hands you dreamt about
For such a long, long time.
And these are the hands you first saw
And said, “Son, you are mine”.

These are the hands with fingers small,
You counted them to ten.
These are the hands that will grow and change,
And what will happen then?

These are the hands that you will hold
As I learn to walk and fall,
And these are the hands that you will teach
To throw and catch a ball.

These are the hands that will chord and strum
Just like you, on the guitar,
And these are the hands that will ask for the keys,
So I can drive the car.

These are the hands that someday
May leave you for a while,
But these are the hands that will bring me home,
And hand to you my child.

These hands they will do many things,
But this I know is true;
These are the hands that give hugs and kisses and say,
“Daddy, I love you!”


There aren't words to describe how touched I was by this secret project. I never knew I could love someone as much as I love my son, and I can't wait for many more Father's Days!




(Somebody had a little too much Father's Day fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment