Thursday, July 14, 2011

Swimming, Swimming in the Swimming Pool!



Growing up in Urbandale, taking swimming lessons at the city pool every summer was a rite of passage. My mom very dutifully signed my brother and I each up, and I very dutifully went to the pool every morning...and cried! Looking back now, I have no idea why I was so traumatized by the experience. I loved being outside and swimming, but for some reason the idea of letting go of the side of the pool and floating with my face in the water terrified me! And let's not even talk about my insane fear of jumping off the diving board!! Eventually, I overcame my fears and once I passed the beginning level of swimming, I actually flew through the other levels! And I have loved pools and the beach ever since!

Now, in Iowa, one can only swim for about 4 months a year without freezing, but living in Florida, we have discovered that pools are open year round and beaches never close! So, when I found out that Tallahassee Parks and Rec offered a Parent and Child swimming lesson, I decided that even though Graham is only 8 months old, it would be good to start his exposure to water and swimming early. For two weeks at the end of June and beginning of July, we packed up the stroller and walked the few blocks to Levy Pool for out swimming adventures.

I don't want to say that I had low expectations, but was really only looking for Graham to have a positive experience in the pool and learn to be comfortable in the water. I would say that we accomplished those goals and more. There was only one other little girl and her mom in our class, so we got a lot of one on one attention and were able to practice skills at our own pace.

Throughout the 2 weeks, Graham grew and learned so much and had a lot of fun along the way. Initially, he was hesitant and clung desperately to my shoulder and/or the rubber duckie that our instructor, Miss Lucy, brought with her everyday. Although he never really cried, he had his moments of complaining and fussing. However, part of the curriculum for the class, included singing and moving in the water to songs like "Wheels on the Bus", "The Isty Bitsy Spider", and "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear". This component instantly won Graham over and by the end of the two weeks, he was excited to get in the pool and splash about. With Chris or I, Graham successfully went under the water, floated on his back, "jumped" off the side of the pool, began to float on his stomach, and swam (reached out) to our waiting arms! He also slept really well during those 2 weeks!!

Overall, we were both extremely happy with swimming lessons and glad that we did it, even at this early age! We are so proud of Graham and all he learned! We are already looking forward to next summer's lessons and know that we will have a little fish on our hands in no time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment