Saturday, January 11, 2014

Best Buddies

While I always knew that the love in my heart would grow exponentially with the birth of my second child, I was not prepared for what that experience would be like for my children.

From the moment we told him about being a big brother, Graham was extremely excited about having a sibling (although he did think it would be a sister!).  He loved to talk about all the things that he would help the baby do and all the fun they would have.  So, really his response to Elliot has been no surprise.  From day one, he has LOVED his brother, as in he is over the moon for him!! 

Love at First Sight!



Everyday, Graham will come home from school, bypass whichever of us didn't pick him up and go straight to Elliot, giving him hugs and "brother mooches" and exclaiming, "Elliot!  I have been missing you so much today!"  He has been doing this nearly everyday for almost 2 months, and it does not get old!  It seriously melts my heart!  Alternately, if I have brought Elliot with me to pick him up at school the instant Graham sees us, he will literally drop everything in his hands and run to him saying, "Elliot, you came to see me today!"  He is so proud to introduce him and show him off to all his friends!  One of the girls in his class has commented to her mom that she is so excited that "Graham has a Carter (her little brother) of his own!"

At Graham's Christmas party at school
Graham can't wait until Elliot is old enough to really play with him, although he asks everyday if he wants to come and play with him in his pirate room.  Graham has loved their matching big and little brother shirts and outfits, and this weekend, when Elliot was dressed in a cowboy onesie he got for Christmas, Graham ran to his room and changed into his Buzz Lightyear pajamas, just so they could be Woody and Buzz!




Woody and Buzz--BFFs

While all of this is completely adorable, I think even more amazing is Elliot's response to Graham.  I have known since before he was born that Elliot was fascinated by Graham.  Two days before he was born, Graham spent the day with Natalie and her family, and I had very few contractions.  However, the minute we picked Graham up and he heard Graham's voice, Elliot started kicking and moving all about.   Elliot clearly LOVED Graham, and this love affair has definitely continued on the outside.  Elliot can be perfectly content with Chris or I, but the minute he hears Graham's voice or sees Graham enter the room, he is so focused and intent on him.  He watches his every move, smiles, at everything he says and does, and just genuinely loves being with him.














So cute, with his arm around Graham at bedtime


Needless to say, I get a little teary every time I see them being so sweet to each other!  I can only hope and pray that this early bond will continue to grow and thrive as they grow up together and for the rest of their lives!


No comments:

Post a Comment