Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Present meets My Future

I had been debating whether to take Graham to see Frozen.  I really wanted to see it, and thought he would probably like it, but I just hadn't summoned up the courage.  Nor had I mentioned anything about the movie to Graham.  On Thursday, he came home talking about his buddy Fisher and how Fisher had gone to see "Frozen, like a Disney movie".  I asked if he wanted to see it too, and he enthusiastically said yes.

So, today, I got brave and took Graham to see Frozen.  It was a special surprise, in that I wouldn't tell him where we were going.  On the way there, he kept guessing Target!  However, he was very excited when we pulled into the theater parking lot, and he exclaimed that this was where we had seen the "Planes Movie"!  He was sure we were going to see it again.  He was really happy, though, when I told him we were going to see Frozen.  He proudly announced to the girl at the ticket counter, "We are going to see the Frozen movie.  It is a Disney movie.  It has princesses in it."  (Thanks, son!  There went my chance to sneak you in for free as a 2 year old!)

In the lobby, Graham happily presented the usher his ticket, repeating his whole spiel about going to see Frozen, Disney, etc. when he stopped mid-sentence and screamed out..."Look!  It's Batman!" while pointing to an ad for the upcoming Lego movie.   And in an instant, my heart fell a bit.

Maybe it is a girl thing, but I am so not into the Superheroes!  I can identify the major ones (Spiderman, Batman, Superman, and I think I have figured out Captain America), but I don't really know anything about them, nor do I really care to learn.  However, Graham has been coming home from school talking about all the superheroes for the past few months, and not getting the cape he wanted for Christmas, hasn't stopped him from tying various aprons, towels, blankets, stuffed animals, etc. around his neck and running from place to place yelling about being a superhero.  Fortunately, in the next minute, the said cape has become a princess dress or a tutu for dancing, and we are back in my comfort zone.

So, here I stood in the lobby of the theater headed to see a Disney movie and being exposed to a superhero ad.  My present met my future, and while I may not be excited about the Superheroes, I know they are the next big thing.  In the meantime, I will take solace in the fact that my little man LOVED Frozen and was very excited to tell Daddy and Elliot all about it, while acting out some of his favorite parts.  Maybe I can convince him that Buzz Lightyear and Peter Pan are Superheroes, too.  At least for a little longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment